BEACHBMM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dollar tournaments for games that never get cred.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MasterKoga

MasterKoga

Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules Empty
PostSubject: Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules   Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 5:17 am

I've just been thinking about random problems at the last tournaments and how to remedy them. Here are a few things I've thought of.

When a disconnect from PBR happens:
-If the pokemon remaining on one side have an obvious chance of not being able to hold up to the opposing team: (I.e., a gyarados with 3 DD's and 3 pokemon left VS one sweeper; a pokemon with sub up when the opponent cannot break it; shedinja.) The team more favored to win wins the match.

Another example is if 6 healthy pokemon are left vs. one or two extremely weak and/or slow pokemon
I.e., full team vs. a 45% hp toxicroak with life orb (no boosts)

In cases like these where it's excessively obvious one side would win, especially in less important matches, the obvious victor should be awarded the win. In finals, say for instance, this rule would only stand if it were something like having a sub up.

Yes, this is obviously not completely fair and will have some sense of bias, but in the sake of time for completing tournaments I don't think it's prudent to replay entire matches when it's obvious one or the other would win.

I know you're going to respond with "what if"s for this, but the time thing really can be a problem and I think I listed sufficient examples. Sure, the losing team could get off 100% critical hits while getting .02% chance of evading hit every turn, but it's not likely or worthy of replaying the match.

With PBR's screen changing for switches
Players should be allowed to look at the TV screen only when they have chosen their move. Yes, this is difficult to enforce, and not all that important for random round robin matches, but it wouldn't be that hard to notice if someone was watching the TV screen.
EDIT: Players should attempt to sit on the same side as their trainer so this is easier to enforce.

When somebody accidentally hits "Forfeit."
In my opinion, this should be treated like accidentally hitting the wrong move, you have to take it like a man. Obviously the consequences are much more defined, but hitting the wrong move can and has cost people matches, so if you're not going to use the D-pad and be careful, it's tough luck.

Obviously losing a match in finals would suck because of that, which is why employing similar rules to the "disconnect" would be prudent.

BUT if it is allowed to hit forfeit "on accident" then people could reverse the outcome of matches by pretending to be klutzes.

Impartial Judge / opponent being lenient would be necessary for the match to be replayed when it was close, because again, it is user error and not a PBR thing.

Coaching
Coaching shouldn't be allowed until after the match. If somebody messes up and needs to learn from it, it should not be in a position where their inferior knowledge should allow them to win the match.

If somebody really finds it necessary to point out every little detail somebody could improve on to help them play, they should probably write it down.

Mid match coaching from someone with excessive knowledge (eric, marc, myself, ben, james, cooper, etc.) could easily decide match outcomes. It is a thinking game after all.

This is all I have. I know you're going to make a huge fuss out of how "unnecessary" some of these are, but as long as we employ them beforehand, and not mid-tourney, it would clear up a lot of confusion and anger.

Last edited by MasterKoga on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jamnt0ast
3 pts
Jamnt0ast

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules   Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 5:22 am

I agree 100%
Back to top Go down
Valdens

Valdens

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules   Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 5:29 am

Seems fair to me, I agree.
Back to top Go down
BMM
7 pts
BMM

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules   Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 11:34 pm

Good, but as you knew i would, i have some notes.
First off, you bring up time management, and though the last tournament was still a little pressed, it only went for
about 5-6 hours, which was as expected, and i don't think the disconnections added to that, as much as they did to frustration.
I'm still not positively sure how i feel about it, and i'm going to talk with eric more, but i appreciate you bringing up the points.
Also, what do you think about putting a time limit on move selecting?

For the screen switching, i completely agree.

As for accidentally hitting forfeit, I don't know. I myself use the D-Pad, so it hasn't been a problem for me, and i would highly advise the same to everybody else, but in that one circumstance where it truly was accidental, or someone bumped into someone or whatever, i'm not sure the fairness of letting them lose just like that.

Sure it's true you could "forfeit" on purpose, just to get a second chance, but i would really hope that, like hacking your pokemon in a perfect way that they'd still be accepted by PBR, people would have the morality to not do that. This is a friendly tournament we're having, and if people are going to act that way in the first place, they shouldn't be competing. You compare this to accidentally hitting another move, but i don't know how well that works. If you could provide to me several instances where accidentally hitting forfeit happened (I remember once with eric at the early fall tourney i think?) that would be great, because i know hitting the wrong move has happened many more times, and restarting due to that would be on a much different scale than of the forfeit button.

Coaching I also agree with, but i think it will be hard to regulate, and i don't know what consequence system you would use
Back to top Go down
MasterKoga

MasterKoga

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules   Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 11:42 pm

A time limit on move selecting is foolish in my opinion; sometimes it takes more time to think than other times. Finding a way to use a shoddy clock would be precise, albeit it doesn't take into consideration the time it takes for animations.
A time limit on move selecting is kinda weird though. Then there's people that just take longer because they have to think. Chess clocks also wouldn't work because that's not what they do.
I would really appreciate people like riley switching faster though. It's not that hard to send out the appropriate counter, and when I know what riley's going to do 45 seconds before he decides to do it it gets irritating.

Accidentally hitting forfeit is again, completely user error. If it was something like someone bumping into you, sure, but if you don't use the D-pad it's kinda your fault. It's happened twice, but I don't remember the first time. The second time it was just ben vs eric and it was dumb they had to play the match over.

Coaching isn't too tough to regulate, just make sure people like cooper aren't telling their siblings what to do. If they kept doing it they would just have to leave while people are battling I guess.
Back to top Go down
Jamnt0ast
3 pts
Jamnt0ast

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules   Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 7:28 am

Yeah i was playing eric last tournament.
I was playing him 1st game and I had a shot at winning, but then he accidentally forfeited and we had to replay. He creamed me the 2nd game because he knew what i was going to do and my team was mostly surprise factor.
Back to top Go down
Rai
10 pts
Rai

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules   Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules EmptySun Dec 20, 2009 9:11 pm

K ill quit then.
Back to top Go down
Jamnt0ast
3 pts
Jamnt0ast

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules   Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 9:47 pm

I'm pretty sure that isn't what he meant, Riley.
Back to top Go down
Rai
10 pts
Rai

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules   Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 6:40 am

If he mentions me by name im gonna take it personally. I can get angry if i want.
Back to top Go down
Valdens

Valdens

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules   Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

I sort of agree that calling out Riley specifically was pretty rude, Michael.
Back to top Go down
Jamnt0ast
3 pts
Jamnt0ast

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules   Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 5:27 am

Riley has a dog.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules   Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules Empty

Back to top Go down

Proposed Pokemon Tournament Rules
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BEACHBMM :: Forum :: Rules-
Jump to: