BEACHBMM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dollar tournaments for games that never get cred.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

High Stakes = Low Badassness

Go down 
+2
Laney-Poop
BEACH
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BEACH
7 pts
BEACH

High Stakes = Low Badassness Empty
PostSubject: High Stakes = Low Badassness   High Stakes = Low Badassness EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 8:52 pm

BMM and I have been familiar with tournaments for awhile now. Alot of you remember coming to our Pokemon RBY events years ago. They were always relatively small and it never crossed our minds to have entry fees. That's because everyone was already taking it seriously. I guess I did not know what serious was.

After barely becoming involved in competitive Brawl, I have to get back out of it, because I have seen what serious is. It's spending alot of money to enter an event so that you can use a small cross-section of the best characters and tactics every time, so that you can do awesome shit make your money back.

That does not make a whole lot of sense...

I much prefer playing people like brj1986 for fun and pride. His Snake will try and fair spike my DK every time I am off stage. Of course he puts himself in a vulnerable position that no 'serious' Snakes ever find themselves in, and of course he is sometimes punished for it. But when he pulls it off and sends that monkey straight down with a crushing heal, the victory is awesome. That's what I am used to. Lane's Luigi jumping off Hyrule Castle's west rooftop so that he can Firepunch me from the bottom boundary. BMM's Armaldo withstanding STAB Surfs. Jamnt0ast's shiny Butterfree. Chris Musa's Scizor Scyther!!!

I am not saying that I am hoping to abolish the use of high-tier characters and strategies. In fact, I like facing them because they are what advance low-tier play and make it so exciting. I also have to admit to using high-tiers when I like them (that's right, Mitsurugi). What I am hoping for is more diversity than I have seen recently in competitions. Players shouldn't be afraid to play how they want to because too much is on the line.

So c'mon. We love playing games because you can do things you will never do outside of the game. So why aren't we doing the coolest shit we can do?

BEACHBMM tournaments are supposed to be a throwback to our first events. Small and cheap. The dollar entry for each event should keep things accessible for everyone, while allowing everyone to come away with a little eventually - that is, because we will be covering so many different games, we expect that all of you will have a chance to place in due time. But by keeping things small and cheap, we also hope to ensure that attendees will feel comfortable and confident enough to play the way they want to play. Not the way they need to play to win.
Back to top Go down
https://beachbmm.forumotion.com
Laney-Poop
11 pts
Laney-Poop

PostSubject: Re: High Stakes = Low Badassness   High Stakes = Low Badassness EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 11:29 pm

Roll deep.
Back to top Go down
Valdens

Valdens

PostSubject: Re: High Stakes = Low Badassness   High Stakes = Low Badassness EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 2:12 am

While I don't fully agree high stakes take the entirety of the fun out of the game, because it's natural human nature to want to compete, and a higher amount both fuels the wanting to improve and can make things a lot more intense, it definitely narrows the means by which the games are played, draws in a less fun and more competition oriented crowd (which I am admittedly not a fan of) and can often result moreso in frustration than happiness, which is why the principle of extremely low entry tournaments is great.

I'm the Persian ambassador, luckily, there's no gaping hole in the middle of the city for me the be kicked into XD
Back to top Go down
Jamnt0ast
3 pts
Jamnt0ast

PostSubject: Re: High Stakes = Low Badassness   High Stakes = Low Badassness EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 9:15 pm

what a bunch of scrubs. needz maor supreme ruler of the universe mk ditto matches
Back to top Go down
Bodo
1 pt
Bodo

PostSubject: Re: High Stakes = Low Badassness   High Stakes = Low Badassness EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 12:41 am

I agree with you Beach, and I play Brawl exactly that way. I use characters that I enjoy using, such as Jigglypuff, Ike, and Kirby, and
as far as tourneys go, you're right. People don't play for fun when there's a lot of money on the line, and tourneys should be about having fun, not winning and losing.
Back to top Go down
BMM
7 pts
BMM

PostSubject: Re: High Stakes = Low Badassness   High Stakes = Low Badassness EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 2:39 am

i'm pretty sure it's all about the challenges
a brand new place
new rivals, as you fight for survival
nothing can stop you diamond and pearl!
Back to top Go down
Valdens

Valdens

PostSubject: Re: High Stakes = Low Badassness   High Stakes = Low Badassness EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 2:43 am

Naturally two joke responses and Bodo >_>
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High Stakes = Low Badassness   High Stakes = Low Badassness Empty

Back to top Go down

High Stakes = Low Badassness
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BEACHBMM :: Games :: Articles-
Jump to: